Follow by Email

Thursday, 16 June 2011

Diary of a Bored Housewife

Kind readers, please note - this post is entirely stream-of-consciousness, so I'm not sure where it's going to go but I'll try to make it interesting for you and cathartic for moi :)

So here it is, June 16th already, and I'm not sure where the past couple of weeks have gone.  I know I spent a good portion of it sitting outside with my cats and doing Brain-Teaser puzzles.  What a full life I lead!!

Pardon the sarcasm (it's just my nature) because I really am grateful for all that I have.  I'm out of work but I'm not hungry (as if!), I'm not homeless and I'm perfectly healthy.  Some would say I should be skipping in the street and throwing my beret up in the air, because I have it all!   Well, okay.  I have a LOT, I will concede to that.  But what I want, what I really, really want, is a job that I enjoy and feel fulfilled in.  And apparently, I may as well wish for a pet unicorn, because it just. ain't. happenin'...at least, not if I stay on the path I've been on, lo these many years.

I search daily for jobs, using the usual resources, and it's not really getting me anywhere.  The greatest problem I have, though, is I'm not excited by any of the prospects I do find.  I'm starting to realize that I need to get outside of my box and figure out a) what it is I really want to do and b) a way to make a living doing it.  Because here's my conundrum - I'm middle-aged and I can make a good living doing what I've done for the past 20 years, which is industrial sales.  IF anyone will hire me, that is!  I mean, I've been on a few interviews and the feedback is always extremely positive, yet...I don't get hired.  So what's the X factor here?  Am I simply at that age where I'm considered "undesirable"?  A friend of mine is convinced that's the case, but I'm not ready to accept that (plus he is, quite frankly, a TOOL).  I still firmly believe in the *wonder that is me*, and am honestly, sincerely surprised when employers decide not to hire me.  Meaning I am either extremely confident or extremely deluded, I suppose.  OR....and here's where it gets interesting....is the Universe trying to direct me to boldly go where I've never gone before?  I kind of love that idea and I want to have faith in it :)

Anyway, I found this link through a Facebook post, so I'm going to try the simple exercise recommended and report back.  Here's the link:

http://www.stevepavlina.com/blog/2005/01/how-to-discover-your-life-purpose-in-about-20-minutes/

Wish me luck!  And if any of you have discovered your own life purpose, I'd love to hear about it :)

OK, I'm going to lighten up now and note three great things about being unemployed:
  1. I finally have the time to make a paste of baking soda and vinegar and use it to clean my plastic AND cloth patio furniture.  You can't imagine the satisfaction and enjoyment derived from seeing all that dirty build-up simply slough away, as if by magic.  So rewarding!
  2. I also have plenty of time to sit and consider my next move.  For example, I'm thinking of going for a pedicure today.  Now, I've been thinking about this since yesterday, so at this point, I've invested roughly TEN WAKING HOURS just thinking about it, and I still haven't come to a decision!  How fortunate am I to have the luxury of time-suckage like this?  Very.
  3. I am going to embark on an estimated three-day project, whereby I'll do a full inventory of my beauty products and then catalogue same on an Excel spreadsheet.  I'm sooo not kidding about this...lol.  Actually, it could easily stretch out to five days, if I allow for the inevitable interruptions such as repeatedly checking the Weather Network, opening and closing the fridge door, or running up and down all the stairs in the house for no apparent reason.  OH, and sitting outside with the cats and doing Brain-Teaser puzzles.
Love,
Cathy

1 comment:

  1. Did you know that Louise Hay started Hay House Publishing when she was 61 years old?? It's never too late! Do some soul searching. And you can listen to some Hay House Radio while you're sitting there doing your puzzles. SOME of it is very helpful. xoxo

    ReplyDelete